November 8, 2010

Lesson Learned

Nearly a year ago the girls came up with the brilliant idea that they wanted earrings. Let me clarify. Zoe came up with the idea (I am not really sure how) and Maddie went along for the ride. At the time, I told them they were not quite old enough. My brilliant Zoe, ever the bargainer, comes up with the plan to get them for her next birthday. The fact that it was ten o'clock at night and I was desperate to end the earring discussion and get some shut eye definitely had no part in me agreeing to such a plan. No...never. Okay, desperate times call for desperate measures people. Lesson Learned: Don't ever say things you don't want to follow through with. I wish I could say that was the only lesson. Other Lesson Learned: Don't underestimate your three year old's memory or determination. You can tell where this is going. Not only did my sweet Zoe not forget the little plan, but she brought it up at every possible chance. One could not mention the word "party" without a clarification of whose party it was (because party must equal birthday) and a full length discussion and reminder that she could get earrings at that time. So as the year came to a close, I could tell I was faced with a decision. I could break my promise or keep it. What a valuable lesson for me. The truth is I had to think of what a valuable lesson it would be for my child. So I taught her that promises are meant to be kept. I prepared her for what was entailed and let her make her own choice. My little follower bowed out gracefully but Zoe, she was in her own words " very brave". The Monday before her fourth birthday her Daddy and I took her to Claire's and much to her delight, she got earrings.

1 comments:

Crissa said...

And she looks so cute! I can't believe she went through with it.

Post a Comment